Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wake up Tarun!

Given my habits experiment over the next 2 months, I thought I will intellectually convince myself of my pickings. Intuitively, from my experience they seem to make sense. Going to Harvard, converts you into a crack nut in the head. 'Disciplined mind with scientific temper' is the euphemism for the same. You want to understand the intellectual root of every argument and make sure that it has sound evidence. Let me give waking up early a shot today.






" Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise " - Ben Franklin, famously

" Put no trust in the benefits to accrue from early rising, as set forth by the infatuated Franklin..." Mark Twain

The method has been recommended since antiquity and now many personal development gurus have rekindled the debate. Aristotle remarked, " It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth and wisdom". Benjamin Franklin wrote a book called Early Rising: A Natural, Social and Religious duty. He is also quoted as saying: " The early morning has gold in its mouth." Growing up in a Hindu line of thought, I have for long been stressed on the importance of waking up in the "Brahmamuhurt"(The moment of Brahma). I found 10 practical reasons why waking up early can benefit you(Leo Babauta's reflection on Zen habits blog). 

Instead of regurgitating them, I will outline what motivates me to start off so early from my personal experience.

1. Gets my day off to a slow and mindful start - Given my weakness of being in a rush and getting anxious, early rise gives me time and space to do my complete wake up ritual - lemon honey warm water, Vipassana meditation, Surya namaskar exercise, diary writing and wholesome breakfast in a mindful manner.

2. Playing to my strengths - Waking up early makes use of my dominant themes(Discover your strengths psychometric test) of being a learner, achiever, competitor, relator and responsibility. While Vipassana improves my learning of my body, mind and matter interaction diary writing provides the nourishment to my intellect. Practicing Metta at the end of Vipassana meditation enables me to be grateful for all the people who have made me and meditate on my responsibility for the day, week and times ahead. For someone who believes that he has sporting intelligence, starting early gives me a feeling of having a head start against the rest of the world. Lastly, accomplishing my early morning routine gives me a sense of achievement to kick start  a positive day.

I will end by referencing a moving eulogy of Eswar kaka by Nipun Mehta - Art of Living exemplified .

No comments:

Post a Comment